This one is for you Peaceful Runner!
This is a quick prep meal and my kids gave it 2 thumbs up (and that isn’t always easy to do!)
Many of my friends want to know what some of my go-to recipes are. They especially want fast meals. I want to try to do 2 recipes a month but I make no promises 😉 This chicken recipe is super fast to prep ahead of time so that when you get home all you have to do is pop it into the pre-heated oven! Serve with some fruit and vegetables and you have a super yummy meal. WARNING: The smell is so divine, but your kids will think you are making pizza so prepare them ahead of time to avoid disappointment!
I got the original recipe here, but I have changed it VERY slightly.
I buy Harvestland brand chicken because so far none of my kids react to it so I know it is safe. The chicken is individually packaged and the breast are huge. I slice each in half (width wise) to get more normal size breasts and it doubles our portions! I also learned the larger packages are cheaper per pound than the smaller ones. I have no clue why. Needless to say I only have to buy chicken once a month!
Ok, enough chatting. Here is the recipe!
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced in half to double
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 tablespoon garlic powder
- dash of cayenne pepper (we like spice in this house, omit if you aren’t into spicy)
- dash of pepper (for those who don’t like it hot)
- dash of salt to taste (basically add what you think looks right.Careful not to add too much though or you will have a very salty meal)
- Mix brown sugar, paprika, oregano, garlic powder, cayenne pepper or pepper and salt in a glass mixing bowl
- Place chicken breasts in a baking dish and cover with half the mixture. Flip breasts and add the rest of the mixture. Cover dish and pop into fridge.
- Leave chicken in fridge for 1-3 hours (or even overnight) to absorb flavors.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Make sure you take the dish out of the fridge to warm up before putting in the oven. Uncover the chicken.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. (I bake for 25, but my current oven takes a bit longer to cook) Make sure your chicken is at least 165 degrees at its thickest point.Enjoy!