I have been wanting a good scone recipe but it seems all my trials have failed. This week I am packing so I am cleaning out the fridge and freezer. I had 2 bags of fresh cranberries I had frozen. I desperately wanted to use them so I decided to try one last time to make scones. I think I nailed it as best I can considering the restrictions we have.This was a simple recipe and fairly quick to make; maybe 10 minutes at most. The kids L-O-V-E-D them! That means I get to share my recipe with you!
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Corn-Free, Soy-Free Orange Cranberry Scone Recipe
- 2 cups GF baking flour (recipe at the bottom)
- 2 teaspoon baking powder (make sure you are using a corn-free one if that is one of your restrictions!)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter (I use this because both girls can eat it but I prefer this, although Princess can’t have it)
- 3/4 cup orange juice (add about 1/2 first and rest only if needed. You do NOT want this too moist!)
- half a bag of fresh cranberries (or less if you want and aren’t trying to get rid of food)
Blend together dry ingredients.
Cut in butter until it is crumbled.
Add in 1/2 cup orange juice, adding more slowly if needed.
A soft dough should form.
At this point you can follow a typical scone recipe and do this: Turn dough out on a floured board and knead for one minute. Pat into a circle on cookie sheet and cut into wedges.
I didn’t do that. I did this: Add cranberries and hand stir them in.
Plop dough onto parchment lined cookie sheet.
I made mine slightly bigger so I got 6. You can make them smaller though.
Once I take them out I cool them about 5 minutes and add the glaze and eat them hot. I haven’t stored them so I have no clue how well they save.
Gluten-Free Baking Flour Recipe
(I made this up based off of other recipes I had seen. Trial and error; this works for us)
- 2 3/4 cups garbanzo bean flour
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- 2 1/4 cups arrowroot starch
- 1 1/2 cups tapioca starch
Blend well and store in an air tight container. I keep mine in the fridge. Make sure you stir/shake before each use.